With the Energy Sponsor Program, BRIGHT enables customers to give solar powered products to off-grid communities where access to electricity is non-existing or very limited. By donating an amount of your own choice, BRIGHT guarantees that all donated funds are used directly towards reaching the end consumers, with no profit margin deducted from the donated amounts.
Energy sponsor program
What impact can solar light and charging have in off-grid communities?
Solar powered products bring a wide range of impacts to users. In particular, a clean and safe lighting source. All BRIGHT’s products can provide light throughout the dark African evening and nights, light that can be used for reading, working, outdoor toilet visits etc. Solar lanterns provide charging for small devices like mobile phones, saving time and money. Other positive impacts include fuel savings (use less money on kerosene, less exposure to particulate matter like bad indoor air). A common framework for measuring energy access is the World Bank developed Multi-Tier Energy Framework. Read more on topic here: www.seforall.org/ or here: www.gogla.org.
How do we select our project and implementation partners?
BRIGHT Products as a company pay high attention to how we select projects under the Energy Sponsor Program label. We do this to ensure no selected projects are undermining commercial activities in the communities we donate the solar lamps to, and also ensure that the donor money spent on solar lamps reach the defined projects as efficient as possible. When BRIGHT choose partners and projects the following criteria is applied:
- Only offered to projects in rural and difficult area. Reach persons that are poor / not able to finance solar powered community houses, and preferably areas where access to solar products is low.
- Project should not be in direct competition with commercial activities.
- Product to be given away for free
- Have a clear objective that the products will be used extensively by the recipients (i.e. identified needs by the community can be matched by what our products are able to deliver)
- Do not take profit margin from the project
- Must commit to training of all users to ensure key features of the products are well understood to recipients, to ensure that the products full potential is utilized.
- Must commit to report progress on projects, as well as provide content for digital communication
- Adhere to highest ethical and environmental standards
How do we make sure that the full donation is used towards the project?
All costs related to delivering the goods to the project are documented and reported to BRIGHT’s auditor every year. The auditor, Partner Revisjon, reviews the documentation in close dialogue with our project partners, and issue a statement confirming that the donation has been used as defined to the donator:
- All funding is directly used to fund production, distribution and operations of delivering and maintaining solar power products in said projects
- When in full operation BRIGHT staff will track hours spent on governance of this project based on Norwegian state rates per hour (as e.g. used for SkatteFUNN) and get this cost covered by donation.
- BRIGHT does not take any profit margin from the energy sponsor program
- The partner and project criteria as defined above are met